Pages

Friday, January 9, 2015

Babywatch - Day 5

Based on yesterday's feeding results, I'm going to try to start being a little more scientific in what I'm feeding.  So this morning, I started out with 1 ounce of green peppers and 1 ounce of wheatgrass.  The guinea pigs ate the wheatgrass within minutes, but they left the green peppers for a little later.  All the green peppers were gone within a couple of hours, though.  Once the green peppers were gone, I gave 1 tablespoon of pellets and topped off their hay dishes with meadow hay instead of either the botanical or the alfalfa (both are still available in small amounts) because I just wanted to see if they would eat the meadow hay instead.  They did eat a little of it, but I decided to add some botanical hay and alfalfa in the afternoon.

For the afternoon feeding of fresh food, I gave them 1 ounce of wheatgrass again and about an ounce of a lettuce mix, which they really seem to enjoy.  I also added more hay (who knew such tiny creatures could eat so much hay?).

I stuck to my usual routine of handling them 1 or 2 times during the day, just for a couple of minutes at a time.  They still were skittish, but I found that they were much easier to catch.  I'm not sure if that is because they are getting used to me or I'm getting used to catching them quickly.

I do have big plans for tomorrow, though.  I had ordered bedding that is similar to PetLife's Vetbed from an American company, and it arrived today.  I hope to get it washed and cut to size so I can start using it instead of fleece.  The fleece has actually been working fine, but I wanted to test it against a product actually made for animals.  Plus, in the guinea pig forums, I have found a few anecdotes from people using it who preferred it to fleece, so I wanted to see for myself.  I also want to see if I can get a mid-grid level installed in the cage to add some additional space and interest.  So stay tuned to see how the cage remodel goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment