Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Babywatch - Day 3

On Day 3, I wanted to add a new food to the alfalfa, botanical hay (mostly timothy plus chamomile, lavender, lemon balm, and clover), green peppers, cucumbers, and carrots that they'd eaten the day before.  Because my daughter eats banana every day, I decided to add one slice cut up into four pieces to the green pepper that I gave the babies in the morning.  I didn't see them eat it, but it was gone after about 5 minutes, so they must have liked it.  Banana does have a higher sugar level, so it's probably not a great food to give every day, but it is nutritious and is considered an easily digestible food for baby humans, so I think it should be good for the baby guinea pigs in small amounts every once in a while.  Plus, I want to make sure they get a good variety of foods each day.

Later in the day, I gave them two slices of cucumber and 6 carrot peels, which they gobbled up immediately.  I also topped off their alfalfa hay and their botanical hay.  In fact, it looks like they are now eating the botanical hay more than the alfalfa hay, and they seem to really like pulling the hay from the bamboo feeders.  There is also meadow hay and oat, wheat, and barley hay in the feeders, but it doesn't look like they've eaten much of it.

In terms of handling, I picked each of them up once and held them for a couple of minutes.  With the second one, I got the idea that maybe I should feed them pellets while holding them because the pellets are definitely on their favorite foods list.  That worked pretty well, so I'm going to try it with both of them tomorrow.  I'm still just giving them limited amounts of pellets twice a day, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment